I’ve started to make breakfast for dinner once a week so that I can test lots of recipes and perfect my breakfast making skills. I’m keeping track of the successful recipes and noting changes I’ve made to each dish. This week I made skillet potatoes and eggs, a recipe I adapted from Taste of Home. The recipe is fun because of it’s versatility – you could use kale, sweet potatoes, yellow squash, or you could add in breakfast sausage or bacon, and you can include any cheese you like!
Here’s the list of ingredients:
- 2 tblsp butter
- half of 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 red potatoes, chopped
- 4-5 stalks broccolini, cut into 2-inch pieces
- minced fresh parsley, rosemary, and sage (1 mixed bunch)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3-4 eggs
- 1/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan
And here’s the method of preparation:
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- In a 10-inch ovenproof skillet (I used my cast iron), melt butter over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook until translucent. Add potatoes and cook until golden brown, adding broccolini to the skillet just before the potatoes have browned.
- Stir in garlic, herbs, salt, and pepper. Break eggs directly over potatoes and broccolini.
- Bake 9-11 minutes or until egg whites are set. Sprinkle with cheeses and bake until melted (about 1-2 minutes).
This dish turned out really great and is so easy to make. The potato portion can definitely be made in a skillet and then transfered to individual baking dishes for personal-sized meals. I love the idea of a personal baked veggie and egg dish. It would go great with some fresh fruit and a slice of banana bread. Let me know what you think and what ideas you have for breakfast!